This was built as a memorial to Thomas
William Jeffcock J.P. in 1901. Jeffcock, who died in 1900, was a mining engineer
of Bank Street in Sheffield, who resided at Shire House, Ecclesfield.
This is not his only memorial in the
village. The others were the stone built drinking fountain, originally built in
a large niche in the southern wall of the parish church (and now erected in the
park) and a horse-trough built near the old cinema
at the foot of Chapeltown Road (which is now in the churchyard). All three
memorials were erected from the proceeds of public collections.
The nurses who resided at the home were
paid for by local charities and were employed in similar duties to those of
today's district nurses. With the coming of the National Health Service, their
duties were transferred to the hospitals and the Nurses' Home became a private