There is a record of an almshouse on this site in 1638. The
building served as the village workhouse until the Grenoside Union Workhouse was
built in 1852. It was then used as a school until the Board School opened in
1894. The hall became the Parish Council offices and finally the premises of the
British Legion until demolition in the late 1960s.
The term Feoffes was used to describe the holders of a grant of
land which could be used for charitable purposes. In the case of Ecclesfield the
rent income from land and property was used for the relief of the poor.