The money to pay relief to the poor of the parish came from
local rates and from charities. The main charity dated back to 1549 and was
administered by fourteen feoffes. The money raised from its 65 acres of land
went "towards the maintenance of Divine Service in the Parish Church...and
for the relief of the poor of that parish..."
In the 1730s, as well as having paupers in the workhouse, it
was customary to take work for the poor to perform in their own homes. In 1757
the parish accounts record the purchase of a spinning wheel bought by the poor