By 1871 it appears that James Allen, who
was previously John Gladwin's manager, had taken over the running of the firm,
by now employing 29 hands. In 1876 the Ecclesfield Paper Co (Ltd) has James
Allen as manager, and by October of that year the company had been
voluntarily wound up. By 1878, the firm was listed as Allen & Hall.
A sale plan dated 19th January 1878
contains the drawing below.
By 1879, Allen & Co. were bankrupt
and by 1881 the firm had changed its name to Atlas, although it was still
managed by Allen. In 1893 Allen again became the owner although he died in the
same year. The final change of name was in 1895 when the firm became the
Hallamshire Paper Mills Co. They carried on producing paper until 1907. The
premises were derelict for many years, allegedly burning down in 1915. The 1923
O.S. map shows them as derelict.